Thursday, May 26, 2011

Making a Difference with Light



The moment you take the leap of understanding to realize you are not photographing a subject 
but are photographing light is when you have control over the medium.Daryl Benson - Alberta (2004)


In the age of social media with great images popping up everywhere, I have always found myself wanting to really be noticed as the photographer who doesn't just take a great portrait just because I have an expensive camera and gear, but has some degree of artistic intent behind doing what I do with these tools.    Since I believe it is important to never stop learning I have been delving into working on one of the most important factors in photography this last year.   *LIGHT.*  Many have argued it is the only factor, that you are only interpreting light which results in depth, color, and space within the photograph.  

I believe in the photographer's magic — the ability to stir the soul with light and shape and colour.   -Amyn Nasser

I am by far from perfect at capturing light but I do hate stumbling upon what could be what I call "wall worthy" portraits out there and my heart sinks when I see the photographer has totally denied the use of light available to them.  Whether it be using strobes, a speedlight/flash, or even that huge #1 source of light, the sun.  This is one reason as I evolve in my work I want to make sure I am doing what I can to capture light and find my own talent with it.   While shooting sessions it's great when I am lost in the moment of what I am "seeing," especially when there is dynamic lighting involved.   As I shoot I also visualize images of what I feel the end result becoming.  Yes, and sometimes I talk to myself, but I promise I am not too crazy.  I do have 4 boys after all, and at home I find I'm talking to myself there too about end results and nobody listens.  ;o)   

Only recently did the opportunity come up that I was able to attend a great lighting workshop by Will King.    His images are dynamic and dimensional all because he has an amazing understanding of light and he uses it enthusiastically. This particular workshop was focused on balancing ambient light with flash in outdoor locations. 

These are just a few of the images that I was able to capture while at his workshop. Now, these models are already beautiful, but when we added the right touches of light it was amazing the transformation from flat dull images to ones that are full of definition, depth, and beautiful color. A beautiful balancing act of light!  I think the results are definitely more stunning!  Be sure to check out more images on my FaceBook Page!  As always, feel free to comment!


 

1 comment:

alex said...

Lately I have been using my iPhone to capture moments, to really exercise my photography skills and avoid leaning on my camera's ability, like what you mentioned here. These photos are gorgeous, by the way. Very cool.